Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Short update

Monday, all the Hunter kids except Nathan went back to school after their long Thanksgiving break.  I was not at all sure how this would go, but Nathan has done fine with just boring old Mom around.  Today, he had his first visit to the dentist- 5 cavities and some tender gums.  He did great overall, though when the dentist found one of his cavities he jumped a bit, and we weren't able to do a thorough cleaning because his gums were so sensitive.  We will be consulting a pediatric dentist on Thursday who does sedation dentistry about getting the 2 fillings he really needs and finishing the cleaning since we really can't explain things to him very well, plus I just think it will be better for him that way.

Have I mentioned how much I love our little elementary school?  High praise from this former home schooler!  Yesterday, Josiah's speech path at school called to see how we were doing (I think Nathan may need her services...)  Today, our principal called me at home, after school hours, to see how Nathan was doing and to welcome us home.  We had had some long discussions about Nathan's education prior to bringing him home.  I am still not sure what is going to work for him, but hopefully we will figure it out by January!  Our school doesn't have any other ELL kids so Nathan would go to another school nearby for 2 hours of an ELLclass with kids K-2nd grade and then spend the rest of the day at our school.  I really like the ELL teacher and think this mixed age group class would be perfect for him, but I am concerned about him being a student at 2 schools, with so many new people to deal with. Tomorrow, I am going to take him up to our little school to say hello- Grace has been begging me to bring him in, her classmates want to meet him, and our principal is excited to meet him too.  I hope we can figure out a plan that works for Nathan so he can be part of the Lincoln community this year but still get some ELL services as well.  If any of you BTDT parents have any great suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I would be willing to home school him, but I think he is going to want to go to school.  I don't know if we can do a part time thing and gradually transition him, but I think that that would be best.  Just don't know if the county will allow it. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you survived the dentist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, I can't find your e-mail addy so I will answer your comment here. Wow I can see how blessed we are to have a competitive 10 y.o. who did have some education. He does not like too many new hard things...but when I told him he needs to learn to sign his name in cursive and learn to write cursive...He jumped right in! Here I am complaining that I need to keep him on track!
    He does not like it when his 8 y.o. sister gets ahead of him, so I think that is a prod in our case

    ReplyDelete